Thursday, July 19, 2012

Cupcake Liner Orb Light

Here's another DIY light fixture I recently made.  We haven't hung it yet, but I'll post updated pics as soon as we get it placed in the room.  Our "music" room has a really dinky, teeny-tiny baby fan in it that I am chomping at the bits to say goodbye to...I wanted something fun and funky in there because I'm going for an eclectic, colorful vibe.  Definitely not a little-girl-fan situation.

This was another idea I found on Pinterest, and it was really easy to make.  All you need is a paper lantern (I bought mine at Pier 1 for around $6 a long time ago), a pendant light kit, a hot glue gun, and a few packs of cupcake liners. I used jumbo white and regular sized brown ones for this project, but they come in all different colors and designs.  They even have these super cute ones that look like flowers that would be adorable in a little girl's room... but I digress...

Anyway, you simply start with your paper lantern and cupcake liners and hot glue them side by side, starting from the top and working your way around the lantern till you have it completely covered.  Pretty straight-forward and simple.





You can put them as close or as far apart as you like.  I put mine pretty close together and kind of squished them together as I went to give it a more organic feel.  Here it is after the first layer was all glued on.  I set it on top of my table lamp in the living room so you get the whole 'lit-up' effect.  Pretty, huh?



I really liked the solid white (I'm thinking I may do another all-white one in the kitchen) but the room where I'm hanging this has more yellowy beige earth tones in it, and I don't think bright white would look right in there, so I added these little brownish-tan mini cupcake liners to warm the color up a bit.  You just do the same thing with these, gluing them inside the larger cupcake liners.



Once I got all of these glued on, I put it over my table lamp and decided that, while it looked kinda cool, it wasn't exactly what I was going for.  I think the mini cupcake liners were a little too mini.  It sort of ended up looking like cells dividing under a microscope.




 Back to the drawing board... I pulled all the mini liners out (I wouldn't advise this... it was pretty time consuming and annoying).


I found some larger, regular sized plain brown cupcake liners at Wal-Mart and bought a couple packs.  Then I glued these on just like the mini ones.  I like this size inside the jumbo liners... they fit a lot better than the mini ones.


Ahhh... mucho more better-o.






I was pretty excited over my DIY light (as you can see from the gazillion-and-one pictures I took of it).  I can't wait to install it in my music room!  I'll do an updated post when I have it all put together so you can see the full dramatic effect.  Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment